11.25.2008

All Bodies in Motion

I am gathering ideas for my thesis research, and am thoroughly inspired by students like this who have entered a contest to "take science to the dance, then back again", or in other words, dance their PhD on youtube. These creative and clever students use dance to communicate complex scientific phenomena. If I was able to dance as a strand of DNA in my science class in high school I just might have been a better student! Fantastic stuff.

NPR discussed these scientists in motion, and you can listen here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97356050

Yesterday, because I was too late to go to a contemporary dance class at San Francisco's ODC Dance Commons, I took the Extended Fusion Rhythms class offered at a later time. This high energy, all levels, all ages class was packed with people who seemed to come to life as soon as the music started. I have never been in a class like this before. During the hour and a half class, people sang to the music, cheered each other on, and displayed some of the most impressive group camaraderie I have ever experienced in an urban setting. It was loud, it was friendly. Everyone was smiling, many were laughing. This is just another example at how transformative movement is, its power in its incredible ability to connect us to self, to community, to world.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dancing Blair,

    What a fantastic idea, this blog! I used to take the Fusion Rhythms class 2-3 times a week, mostly for the energy. I would laugh so much in each class.

    My SBGI embodiment blog is: http://embodying.blogspot.com/, and the zen blog is: http://s-h-i-b-u-m-i.blogspot.com/

    Be well!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete