1.28.2009

1980s Popculture and Dance




In the 1980s, I was born and so was MTV. Movies and TV sitcoms were filled with dance and performance themes, like Fame, Kids Incorporated, and Star Search. Today's dance television includes So You Think You Can Dance?, Dancing With the Stars, America's Best Dance Crew, and the new Superstars of Dance.

One of the reasons I want to become a dance therapist, I think, is partly because of experiencing dance and movement as a tool to release emotion, express myself nonverbally, and to become more in tune with the world and myself, just like the characters in my favorite movies. Let's take a look at some of my favorite dance scenes in movies from the decade, shall we?

The Angry dance in Footloose,
The African Anteater Ritual dance in Can't Buy Me Love,
The Maniac dance in Flashdance.
The "nobody puts Baby in the corner" dance in Dirty Dancing,
The Dance TV contest in Girls Just Wanna Have Fun,
The Saturday school dance in The Breakfast Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment